Roast beef with horseradish crust
Roast Beef Ingredients
* 3 brown onions, peeled
* 50g unsalted butter
* 2 tbs green peppercorns
* 2 tbs bottled grated horseradish
* 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme leaves
* 1kg scotch fillet roast
* 1 tbs plain flour
* 40ml (2 tbs) olive oil
Horseradish & peppercorn cream
* 1 tbs green peppercorns, lightly crushed
* 2 tbs bottled horseradish
* 100ml (5 tbs) creme fraiche or sour cream
Roast Beef Recipe Instructions
1.First of all preheat the oven to 200°C.
2.And then cut the onions into thick slices and lay on the base of a large, greased baking dish.
3.Next is to place the butter, peppercorns, horseradish and thyme in a food processor and process until a smooth paste. Spread the paste over the top of the scotch fillet, then place on top of the onions. Sprinkle the meat with flour, then drizzle the meat and onions with the olive oil. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes. (This is for rare beef, cook for a little while longer if you prefer.) Meanwhile, to make the horseradish and peppercorn cream, combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
4.Sprinkle the beef with sea salt and serve on a bed of onions with the horseradish and peppercorn cream.
Enjoy the roast beef !
Mustard roast beef with aioli
Roast Beef Ingredients
* 1 whole garlic bulb
* 235g (1 cup) Neil Perry Fresh Signature Mayonnaise
* 85g (1/3 cup) sour cream
* 2 tbs chopped fresh chives
* 1.2kg-piece beef fillet, fat trimmed
* 2 tbs wholegrain mustard
* 2 tbs Dijon mustard
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon leaves
Roast Beef Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 200°C. Wrap garlic in foil. Roast for 30 minutes. Unwrap. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Halve horizontally.
2.Squeeze garlic flesh into a bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, sour cream and chives. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge.
3.Use unwaxed white kitchen string to tie the beef at 4cm intervals. Place combined mustard and tarragon in a bowl. Rub over beef. Place in a roasting pan. Roast for 35 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Cover. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
4.Thinly slice the beef. Place on a platter. Serve with aioli.
Perfect Roast Beef
Roast Beef ingredients:
- 1.5kg topside of beef
- 2 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 bulb of garlic
- a small bunch of fresh thyme, rosemary, bay or sage, or a mixture
- olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Take your beef out of the fridge 30 minutes before it goes into the oven
• Preheat your oven to 240°C/475°F/ gas 9
• There’s no need to peel the vegetables – just give them a wash and roughly chop them
• Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled
• Pile all the veg, garlic and herbs into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil
• Drizzle the beef with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper, rubbing it all over the meat
• Place the beef on top of the vegetables
Roast Beef instructions:
• Place the roasting tray in the preheated oven
• Turn the heat down immediately to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 and cook for 1 hour for medium beef
• If you prefer it medium-rare, take it out 5 to 10 minutes earlier
• For well done, leave it in for another 10 to 15 minutes
• If you’re doing roast potatoes and veggies, this is the time to crack on with them – get them into the oven for the last 45 minutes of cooking
• Baste the beef halfway through cooking and if the veg look dry, add a splash of water to the tray to stop them burning
• When the beef is cooked to your liking, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the beef to a board to rest for 15 minutes or so
• Cover it with a layer of tinfoil and a tea towel and put aside while you make your gravy, horseradish sauce and Yorkshire puddings