Beef Tenderloin and Root Vegetable Roast
* 1 beef tenderloin, about 5 to 6 pounds
* 1/4 cup red wine, such as pinot noir or burgundy
* 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
* 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning blend
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 1/2 pounds red or gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inchpieces
* 4 medium carrots, peeled, cut in 1 1/2-inch slices and quartered lengthwise
* 1 large onion, cut in wedges
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
* 3 cups beef broth
* 1 cup red wine, such as pinot noir or burgundy
Put the beef tenderloin in a large food storage bag with 1/4 cup red wine, the 4 cloves of garlic (minced), Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Seal the bag and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
Lightly oil a large shallow roasting pan. Heat oven to 425°. Toss potatoes, carrots, and onion with the minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange the vegetables in the prepared pan and cover with foil. Roast for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over low heat; add 1 cup sliced shallots and sauté, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Pour in the beef broth and red wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until reduced by about one-third to one-half. Pour the marinade off the beef and add it to the sauce.
Simmer for 2 minutes longer. Set aside and keep warm.
Remove the foil from vegetables and place the beef tenderloin on the vegetables. Roast uncovered until the beef registers about 150° on a meat thermometer for medium, or to about 140° for medium rare, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Lift beef tenderloin out and place on a cutting board; loosely cover with foil. Let the beef tenderloin stand for about 10 minutes.
Slice beef tenderloin and serve with the sauce and vegetables. The roast beef recipes is ready to serves 6 persons...enjoy it !