Roast Beef Recipe Ingredients
- 1 2.5 lb boneless eye-round roast, tied
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced to a paste
1. The day before you plan to cook the roast, sprinkle the salt evenly over the meat, rolling it on your board to pick up excess salt that has failed to stick. Wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight, or at least for a few hours the day of.
2. Place the oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Remove the roast from the refrigerator and use paper towels to dry excess moisture from the meat. Rub the roast all over with the teaspoon of oil before evenly sprinkling on the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, pepper and garlic.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it just begins to simmer and slightly smoke. Add the roast and sear until richly browned on all sides (including the sides and the ends), 3 to 4 minutes per side.
4. Transfer the roast beef to a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and sprayed with Pam. Roast the meat for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the meat reaches 115 degrees F on a meat thermometer. Turn the oven off, leaving the roast in the oven for another 30-40 minutes, or until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees F for medium-rare or 140 degrees F for medium. Do not cook the roast past medium or the meat will be too dry!
5. Remove the roast from the oven to a carving board and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. Slice the meat as thinly as possible and serve with potatoes, vegetables, and/or crusty bread. Serves 6 persons..enjoy the roast beef !
roast beef recipes: pot-roast-with-rosemary-and-garlic