Roast Beef Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 4 to 5 lb boneless cross-rib pot roast or other chuck roast
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs Caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh marjoram (or 2 Tbs dried)
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 4 Granny Smith apples quartered, cored and peeled
1. Preheat oven to 300.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat oil on high heat until very hot. Pat meat dry and season with lots of salt and pepper. Brown well, 8 to 10 minutes a side. [Note: this is the MOST important step.
3. Remove meat to a plate. Pour off fat or add as needed so there are appx. 2 Tbs in the Dutch oven. Add onions and saute until translucent, 7 to 9 minutes:
4. Add vinegar, bring to boil, scrape up brown bits. Add the bay leaves, the Caraway seeds, the sugar, and the marjoram. Place the meat back in and add enough beef stock to come up the sides of the meat halfway.
Bring to a simmer, skim off fat, cover and put in the oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
5. At this point, add the apples to the pot:
Remove them from the pot and start checking the meat for doneness. Continue cooking, with lid on, until fork tender–15 to 30 minutes more.
6. When finished, remove meat from the pot, cover with foil, and let it rest ten minutes. Skim fat from the liquid and taste: for more flavor, boil it until it coats a spoon. [I did this, and it makes the sauce taste great.]
7. Slice meat and serve with the apples, the liquid and the onions. Enjoy!